December 24, 2012 - During the coming year, please do as many of the following as you can:
- Plant trees.
- Grow your own food organically.
- Make your own organic fertilizer. I've found that comfrey "tea" is fabulous. Comfrey is not hard to grow, has pretty blue/purple flowers in spring and early summer, and can be vigorously cut back a few times a year. Take the cuttings, put them in buckets so that they're 1/2 - 2/3 full, then fill with water. Let stand three days. Powerful stuff!
- Forego new clothing to as great an extent as possible. When you do buy, look for something "virtuous": Made in America, organic, recycled, repurposed.
- Recycle and repurpose other possessions, too.
- Let your house get colder in winter and warmer in summer, i.e., conserve energy.
- Conserve water.
- Save more money for hard times.
- Amplify your pantry so that preserved foods could see you through at least a few weeks, preferably a few months.
- Set water aside in 2 liter pop bottles.
- Buy some rain barrels.
- Get to know your neighbors. You'll be needing them, and they'll be needing you.
- Learn a new home skill.
- Talk to your children about climate change.
- If your soil is terrible, learn about permaculture.
- Drive less.
- Tell your congressional representatives that we must stop selling coal to China.
- Protest anti-environmental policies as often as you can.
- Become a more loving, happier person.
- Learn more about your spiritual/religious side. Talk to God.
Together we can make the world a better place. Do your part - start today.