Skip to main content

To Bee or Not to Bee - Update

July 8, 2018

I like to walk around each day to look at the flower beds I've planted, always in the morning. It's been an unusual growing year; our weather has been cool and overcast, the lack of sun slowing plant growth considerably. One plant that has kept me guessing since I planted it two years ago is a Blue Sea Holly, which I have in a flower bed facing south. It took forever, but this year it produced flowers - unusual, spiky-looking things that are still, gradually turning a dusty-looking gray-blue. One of the most notable features of the plant has been its ability to attract bees. For the past few weeks I've seen swarms of them hovering around the 3 foot tall mass of clover-like flowers each day.

This makes me happy, because - like all of you, I suspect - I'm aware of the trouble bees are in. In past years, I've seen wooden boxes full of the creatures delivered to various farmers' fields in the area. This year, there were no deliveries; the fields have been turned into building sites, as our little town grows. Nevertheless, bees have paid visits to the holly, comfrey, foxglove, and other plants in my yard. Good, I thought, hoping their presence meant the absence of neonicotinoids. And it might very well mean that. But: today, when I walked around, I noticed the bees working the Blue Sea Holly. As I got closer, I couldn't help but notice a lack of buzzing going on. And a distinct lack of movement on the part of the usually busy bees.

Standing over the uniquely gray-blue plant, I saw that, rather than hovering over the flowers, the bees were lying on top of them. Drawing close, they looked as if at any second they would resume their minute inspection of each pollen-producing ornament. But they didn't. I poked one of them. Nothing. They were all dead. I'm not making this up. I've never seen anything like this happen before. Are local farmers spraying a pesticide that took a few minutes to kill the bees once they'd come into contact with it? Have the flowers themselves begun producing a substance that harms the bees? I can't imagine that's the problem; surely there would be a warning on the tuber's packaging. What happened? Will I find more dead bees in the days ahead?

I'll let you know.

July 16, 2018

The next morning I took a look at the holly plant. About half the bees lying inert the day before had gone. The other half still appeared to be dead, although, after a moment, one moved slightly. Could they have been drunk? I wondered. Certainly the plant seems enormously attractive to bees; a few days after the "die off," three different kinds of bees were collecting pollen at the same time from the one plant! It seems as popular as ever, with a constant stream of customers coming and going. There has been some study of drunken bees - apparently the presence of ethanol in the bees is significant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great March for Climate Action

December 23, 2013 – Have you heard about The Great March for Climate Action?   I just learned about it today.   Organizers have determined it will take them 246 days to march from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C.   They are looking for 1,000 people – 20 from each state – to participate.   The march is stopping in many, many locations along the way so that locals can participate for as little as a day, or as long as they like. The march is Ed Fallon’s brainchild.   Ed, along with most of his staff members, is from Iowa, where he served as a state legislator for fourteen years.   He currently hosts a radio program called Fallon Forum.   Fallon began his career as a social activist coordinating the Iowa section of the Great Peace March in 1986.  Ed bases his approach on Great Marches of the past.  Women suffragists marched on Washington on March 3, 1913; Gandhi led the Salt March in India on March 12, 1930; Dr. King led the voting rights march from Selma to Montgomery

Greenland: A State of Rapid Collapse

 September 1, 2020 The good news, such as it is, goes like this: the suspense is over. No need to guess about whether sea level rise will be life-altering by the end of this century or not. It will, at least for the 40 percent of humankind which lives on or near a coastline. That's because all the ice on Greenland is going to melt, according to researchers at Ohio State University (yes, yes, I know - it's THE Ohio State University. Get over yourselves.) Their research appeared in the journal Nature Communications Earth and Environment in August. Total meltdown will take 10,000 years, but enough will have melted by 2100 to cause sea level rise of approximately three feet. That will cover a lot of coastal property, a loss made worse by storms and hurricanes. How have researchers reached this conclusion? By studying almost 40 years of satellite data. Glaciers on Greenland have shrunk so much since the year 2000 that even if global warming came to a complete stop, they would contin