Skip to main content
March 29 – My husband and I began eating less meat about fifteen years ago. Prior to that, because I didn’t know how not eating meat would affect my children’s growth, I served meat most nights. Once they had entered their teens, I felt free to begin cutting back. It was a very gradual process, but by the time my daughter graduated from high school, I think we were eating chicken twice a week, and pizza with pepperoni one night a week. I’d essentially eliminated beef somewhere during the transition. For the next five years, that’s where we remained stuck. During this interval, my son informed me one day that he was becoming a vegetarian. He’d seen a movie at school that had shocked him, and he decided he couldn’t bear to eat it anymore. A year later, he’d become a vegan, which – greatly to his credit – he remained for six years. He missed eating cheese terribly, which caused him to decide that vegetarianism was the best way of eating for him.
The odd thing is, I can’t really recall what caused me to make the final transition to vegetarianism. I suspect it had to do with having insufficient reason to continue eating meat. Initially, I cooked meat for my husband as often as I had been doing. That went by the wayside, as you might suspect, because I grew tired of preparing two different meals, even if one of them was only a big salad. What I won’t fix for him at home, he makes up for when we eat out.
I do know that my knowledge about agribusiness had grown, and I felt increasingly uncomfortable about the way animals are raised for slaughter in this country.
Even then, however, I didn’t realize how detrimental to our planet’s health factory-style animal husbandry was. I heard about isolated “accidents” that happened: fish kills, people dying of e.coli and listeria, mad cow disease. I never realized that the water used raising feedstock for millions of animals was making major inroads into our supply of readily available drinking water. I knew more antibiotics were fed to farm animals than were taken by sick human beings. Now I also know about “super bugs,” that even the most potent antibiotics cannot overcome, which have developed in response to the overuse of antibiotics in agriculture.
Worst of all is the way animals are treated at factory farms. Well, no: the absolute worst is the fact that some animals are skinned and eviscerated while still alive at processing plants. Next to that, however, is the fact that mother animals are allowed no time at all with their young. Not chickens, not pigs, not cows. The fact that animals must live shoulder to shoulder in order to maximize profits. The fact that animals are covered with their own excrement. The fact that animals are shown no kindness, are never petted, are never spoken to. Not chickens, not pigs, not cows.
Why would I want to support this living hell human beings have created in obeisance to the almighty dollar? Were I to buy the products extracted by means of mechanized brutality, I would be saying that the suffering of millions of animals was acceptable to me. I would be nodding in agreement with those who say that the contribution of 18% of the atmosphere’s methane by farm animals is really not a serious matter at all. I would be admitting profound ignorance of the fact that millions of farm animals and billions of people is much too much of both.
If this article rouses your concern, please learn more about why we must eat far less meat by reading The Food Revolution, by John Robbins. No one should try to become vegetarian overnight. Start by eating meat six nights a week instead of seven. Even if you stopped there – and I sincerely hope you do not – it would make a small
difference. Every single journey ever taken has started with the first small step. Who can say where that first step may lead? Toward a more humane world? It could!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great March for Climate Action

December 23, 2013 – Have you heard about The Great March for Climate Action?   I just learned about it today.   Organizers have determined it will take them 246 days to march from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C.   They are looking for 1,000 people – 20 from each state – to participate.   The march is stopping in many, many locations along the way so that locals can participate for as little as a day, or as long as they like. The march is Ed Fallon’s brainchild.   Ed, along with most of his staff members, is from Iowa, where he served as a state legislator for fourteen years.   He currently hosts a radio program called Fallon Forum.   Fallon began his career as a social activist coordinating the Iowa section of the Great Peace March in 1986.  Ed bases his approach on Great Marches of the past.  Women suffragists marched on Washington on March 3, 1913; Gandhi led the Salt March in India on March 12, 1930; Dr. King led the voting rights march from Selma to Montgomery

Greenland: A State of Rapid Collapse

 September 1, 2020 The good news, such as it is, goes like this: the suspense is over. No need to guess about whether sea level rise will be life-altering by the end of this century or not. It will, at least for the 40 percent of humankind which lives on or near a coastline. That's because all the ice on Greenland is going to melt, according to researchers at Ohio State University (yes, yes, I know - it's THE Ohio State University. Get over yourselves.) Their research appeared in the journal Nature Communications Earth and Environment in August. Total meltdown will take 10,000 years, but enough will have melted by 2100 to cause sea level rise of approximately three feet. That will cover a lot of coastal property, a loss made worse by storms and hurricanes. How have researchers reached this conclusion? By studying almost 40 years of satellite data. Glaciers on Greenland have shrunk so much since the year 2000 that even if global warming came to a complete stop, they would contin