Skip to main content

Baby, It's Cold Outside


January 7, 2014 – Happy Freezing New Year!  (Love that Polar Vortex!)  2014 could very well go down in history as the first year when entire continents were brought to a grinding halt by climate change.  Thousands of flights have been cancelled in the U.S., my hometown of Chicago – Chicago! – has been brought to its knees by snow and below zero temperatures, and many thousands of schools are closed, and events cancelled, nationwide.  Meantime, Europe is suffering from an historic deluge.  Let me explain how the weather in the U.S. has affected me personally:

My 93-year-old father-in-law, who has dementia, lives with a round-the-clock caregiver in a northern suburb of Chicago.  Normally, she lets me know what groceries she needs, and I order them from Peapod, a grocery delivery service.  Yesterday she gave me her order, and I placed the order on the Peapod website.  However, when I tried to schedule delivery, the webpage said that all the delivery times were sold out.  Hmmm – time to get on the phone.

Easier said than done.  It seems everyone who places orders with Peapod wanted to know when they would be delivered.  In fact, callers were greeted with a recording telling them that due to the severe weather, orders were backed up indefinitely.  After 45 minutes spent on hold, I left my phone number so that I could receive a call back.  I got a call back about an hour later from a very nice lady, who told me that my order wouldn’t be delivered until late Friday afternoon.  Three days later than usual!  Time for emergency measures.

The agency that provides us with our caregiver was first on my list of calls.  I asked that they go to the store to pick up an abbreviated list of groceries to see my father-in-law through until Friday.  They were hesitant, since there is a hefty charge for additional services like shopping.  Their suggestion was that I call the grocery store myself, to request delivery directly from them.  I agreed to try that.

Simply put, my request was denied.  After speaking with two people at the Jewel grocery store closest to my father-in-law, they informed me that they offered delivery only if the individual came to the store (???) to select their groceries, which the store would then deliver.  I thanked them, and called the home care agency back.  I explained Jewel’s policy to them, and they then agreed to pick up groceries for my father-in-law, for the aforementioned hefty fee.  I didn’t bother to mention to them that they’ll have to get through the foot of snow on the sidewalk leading up to the house first, before they can deliver the groceries.  What a mess!!

We’re always told, in situations like this, that it’s the elderly and the very young who suffer most.  It’s getting rougher and rougher out there, with every passing year.  Maybe the winter of 2014 will cost enough billions of dollars that it will finally occur to our government that doing nothing costs more than taking action.  You might want to call your representative in Washington to give him or her a little nudge in that direction.  Stay warm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great March for Climate Action

December 23, 2013 – Have you heard about The Great March for Climate Action?   I just learned about it today.   Organizers have determined it will take them 246 days to march from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C.   They are looking for 1,000 people – 20 from each state – to participate.   The march is stopping in many, many locations along the way so that locals can participate for as little as a day, or as long as they like. The march is Ed Fallon’s brainchild.   Ed, along with most of his staff members, is from Iowa, where he served as a state legislator for fourteen years.   He currently hosts a radio program called Fallon Forum.   Fallon began his career as a social activist coordinating the Iowa section of the Great Peace March in 1986.  Ed bases his approach on Great Marches of the past.  Women suffragists marched on Washington on March 3, 1913; Gandhi led the Salt March in India on March 12, 1930; Dr. King led the voting rights march from Selma to Montgomery

Greenland: A State of Rapid Collapse

 September 1, 2020 The good news, such as it is, goes like this: the suspense is over. No need to guess about whether sea level rise will be life-altering by the end of this century or not. It will, at least for the 40 percent of humankind which lives on or near a coastline. That's because all the ice on Greenland is going to melt, according to researchers at Ohio State University (yes, yes, I know - it's THE Ohio State University. Get over yourselves.) Their research appeared in the journal Nature Communications Earth and Environment in August. Total meltdown will take 10,000 years, but enough will have melted by 2100 to cause sea level rise of approximately three feet. That will cover a lot of coastal property, a loss made worse by storms and hurricanes. How have researchers reached this conclusion? By studying almost 40 years of satellite data. Glaciers on Greenland have shrunk so much since the year 2000 that even if global warming came to a complete stop, they would contin